July 22, 2011

This has been an EXCEPTIONALLY great week!  Not that I was shocked to find this out, but my whole community (and then some…) are as in love with my little Ava as I am.  A few days ago, I posted on Facebook about the stress of budgeting for a wheelchair van for Ava, and within minutes, dozens of people were working and plotting ways to fundraise for our princess.  By the next day, a Facebook page “Wheels 4 Ava” had been created, and it is now up to nearly 300 members…ALL being super supportive.  Restaurants are working on donations, as well as private donations.  Rummage sales and other benefits are being scheduled.  Two of my sweet friends are selling “Wheels 4 Ava” t-shirts….I’m just blown away. BLOWN away!! I want to thank all of you, over and over again, for all of the help you are providing, especially all of the time you’re each making for her.  Drew and I both feel the blessing.  We owe you, friends, and we will return the favor. =) I can’t wait for Ava to meet all of you that are still strangers to us!  And to my blog readers,  I can’t wait to keep you posted from time to time on the fundraising process.  I hope it inspires all of us to pay it forward.
I’m quite happy to have the WONDERFUL distraction of fundraising for Ava this week, because my heart has been a little achy (for totally selfish reasons!)  Wednesday started Ava’s week long summer stint with her dad and step-mom.  It’s the longest she’s ever been away from me with the exception of two vacations Drew and I have taken together.  I feel so useless here at home with no Princess to care for!  My boys are old enough to do most everything for themselves and let’s be honest, it’s no where near as fun to pick out their clothes and you KNOW they won’t let me do their hair.  I just haven’t realized until recently how co-dependent I am on Ava.  It’s definitely true that when you have a special baby (or any baby!), you grow to need them just as much, if not more, as they need you.  I know Ava enjoys her breaks from Frantic Mommy, and I feel completely secure in knowing that her step-mom, Sara-Claire, loves her and cares for her like her own.  I feel so fortunate that she has someone like that, and that I have someone like that to trust her with.  It also helps that they bought a house only a couple of blocks from ours, so even when she’s away, she’s not far away.  Hey, I wonder if anyone would notice if Ava and I made a paper cup telephone line to string from window to window? =)
Here is a picture of Ava getting ready to be picked up by Sara-Claire for her “vacation”.  Her bag is as big as she is!

I’m much shorter with words today than usual, but I have so much gratefulness on the tip of my tongue.  When I think about where our life was even just three years earlier and compare it to life now…wow.  Thank you, God, for turning things around.  Drew, Dylan, Connor, Ava and I are living life post the happy ending of a fairy tale. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment