May 22, 2012

My Little Sunshine In The Sky


8 years. That’s what we’d been loosely promised.  That’s what I’d been praying for, for the last 6. And for some reason, the last three weeks of Ava’s life I had totally convinced myself she’d live to be in her twenties. I’ve been battling with how, as a mom, I just didn’t know it was going to happen that day. Shouldn’t I have felt it when we woke up in the morning? Shock and grief are probably the most powerful feelings we can have other than love, and I’m trying my best to remember those are just earthly feelings. When Ava died, it was like I was reading a really good book and I got so involved I had no idea I’d reached the end until I read the last word. Complete heartbreak.


Although I don’t believe it every second of the day, and I seem to be in constant need of people reminding me, there are more books to be read and more stories to be written.  I may feel empty now, but Ava’s book is right there on the shelf.  When I need to remember the story, I can read it any time I want…through pictures, video, and of course you can probably guess that I’ve written every memory down.


The night Ava was born, she was a little blue so that meant an extra few seconds of her being away from my reach right away.  That was the first time I’d ever experienced physical emptiness. I stayed with her for about three hours after and didn’t get to see her again until six AM the next day.  It probably took two minutes for the nurses to roll Ava down the hall to my room but it felt like a lifetime.  She’d lived in me for so long and I needed to feel her move.  I needed to see her face.  Hear her breathe.  Smell her.  Touch her.  Every mother knows what that’s like.  It’s not just a sense of pride that draws us to our newborn babies, it’s that bond that never breaks.  It’s responsibility, and completion, and purpose.


As I mentioned earlier, the three weeks leading up to Ava’s death were some of the best I ever had with her.  I was thankful to be able to finish up her treatment for staph at home with the help of a nurse, and not in the hospital far away from our families.  She’d spent most of this year in the hospital and enough was enough.  She was beaming every single day.  I promise you I have never seen that little girl smile so much and for no reason at all!  Everything made her happy.  Everything was funny.  Well, with the exception of changing her bandages.  She was always a whiner at getting the tape off, and this we thought was funny because with everything in and on her body that should have been hurting, the tape removal is what made her start swinging fist and sassing. J


She was growing.  Her seizures were at their most minimal.  She never spit up.  She cuddled me a lot and let me hold her whenever and however I pleased. Every two days, the nurse would change the wound vac bandage on her back.  I was amazed…in absolute awe…at how fast she was healing.  There was a small scare about the infection spreading but it seemed as if the second everyone clammed up, the problem went away. The best part of all of this was that for the first time since she was a baby, it was just me and Ava, all day long.  We couldn’t go anywhere so we didn’t.  Our top priority was to spend time with each other. I am so incredibly thankful that God planned it that way.  I think that was his way of giving me peace just long enough to remember and truly enjoy the last few days I had with her.


I know a lot of people knew about those three weeks, and how wonderfully she was doing.  I know you felt that shock right away, too.  I know it’s left a lot of you with hard questions and I know you all loved her so much, so I’m going to do my best to explain how Ava became a Heavenly angel, although I’m still struggling to put pieces together myself.


On Wednesday, May 16th, Ava woke up ill with a stomach bug.  It was a typical kid thing.  It left her drained and a little dehydrated, but nothing serious.  I probably complained too much that day about washing all the sheets and clothes. Connor was obsessed with helping her that day, which was good because I needed it.  He gave her some medicine.  He stood in front of her, fingers shaking at her stomach, and threatened all the tummy bugs (as if there were literal bugs wiggling around in there) to leave his sister alone, or else.  Ava thought that was hilarious, and then Connor scolded her for not taking his position as doctor seriously.  Those two….J  There was no fever, or anything else out of the ordinary except hard seizures, but she had spit up all her meds and as Aicardi moms know sometimes that’s just an unfortunate side affect.  By nighttime, she seemed fine.  I pump fed her Pedialyte only, bit by bit over the course of an hour, just to help her feel better.  She didn’t spit it up, so I put her to bed.  The next morning while she was still laying down, she coughed and a little Pedialyte came up, but she didn’t even act bothered so I never thought it went into her lungs.  The spit up was clear, which I took as a good sign.  Sometimes Aicardi girls just spit up like babies do, and the color and scent of it made me believe the bug wasn’t there anymore.  I sat her up in her wheel chair and we started her day.  She frowned a couple of times, faces that will always haunt me now, but even then I swear I thought, My God. That is the most beautiful frown.  The frown went away though.  She was sleepy but that’s normal for a girl with her syndrome.  Her vitals were normal.  Everything was good.  I prayed over and over that the bug was really gone, but continued to give her Pedialyte just to get her pepped up again.  It was Dylan’s last day of school, and since I had recently been given permission to ease her out and about in small trips, I decided to take her with me to drop him off at school.


I didn’t even care that she’d just had a tummy bug the day before (sorry, parents).  I knew that these kids in his class had been praying heavily for her the entire school year and some still didn’t know her.  I wanted Ava to see them.  Of course, she didn’t smile for anyone! She took a nap…silly girl….and woke back up when we were out in the car.  The whole day went by and everything was fine other than her sleeping a lot.  This could totally have been related to all the “bug issues” and seizures the day before.  I gave her so many kisses.  She watched cartoons in the living room with Dylan when she was awake.  Connor begged her every five minutes to come upstairs and watch cartoons with him, and was heartbroken when I told him she was too tired.  I can’t believe I did that.  I should have carried her and the wheelchair up there.  They were THE best of friends.


At around 4 P.M., Ava had a really hard seizure.  I took her temp and noticed it was 103.7, the highest I’d ever seen it outside of the hospital.  I called the nurse and was told what I already suspected.  It could have everything to do with the seizure, and the exceptionally hard seizure could have everything to do with the dehydration, which could take days to get over. I gave her ibuprofen and waited to hear back from the nurse as she consulted the doctors and dietician.  By the time she called back, Ava’s fever had gone back down to 100, and minutes after that was at 98.8.  I was completely convinced it was the seizure that shot it up.  Since she hadn’t been spitting up, the dietician decided it was time to get the dehydration taken care of even faster, so we increased her feeds and the feed times came in short intervals.  She kept every bit of it down, but she kept getting sleepier and sleepier.  I listened to her lungs, but there were no more “junky” than normal.  She wasn’t coughing.  She was a little pale, but it was nothing out of the ordinary for Ava even when she wasn’t feeling bad.  She scared many doctors in her time with her ability to “lighten up”! I wondered if she may be coming down with pneumonia but even then, I’ve seen her with less severe pneumonia and she looked and sounded a lot worse than she did that day.  I was worried, but with the fever down and the Pedialyte staying in her system I thought she just needed to rest.  Since it was after hours, I told Drew if the fever came back I would take her straight to the ER.  I wasn’t even thinking we’d have to stay there over night.  I figured it’d be a quick breathing treatment, adjustment of antibiotics and we’d be on our way.  Nothing major.  Total routine.


Around 6:45 or 7, I noticed Ava making funny faces.  I picked her up and she threw up all over me.  I won’t tell about the next fifteen minutes in great detail, but that’s when Ava’s body decided to let her go. I’d never seen anyone dying so I honestly had no idea that was happening.  I knew it was serious.  I knew that even though he was doing everything right, I didn’t feel like the CPR Drew was doing was changing the way her body looked and I couldn’t understand why.  I believe now she was gone before we could even lay her down for CPR. I knew it seemed to take an eternity for the ambulance to get there even though I later found out it was minutes.  I guess the ENT’s knew right away that she had left us.  I tried to follow her into the ambulance but they wouldn’t let me go.  Drew and I beat them to the hospital and I thought that was so strange.  I stood in the middle of the waiting room waiting and waiting and waiting.  Everyone was staring at me and I hated them for it.  A receptionist walked up to me and said, “How old is your little girl?”  I didn’t remember even telling her it was a little girl I had on the way and I wanted to know how she knew.  The ambulance finally got there and when I took one step forward the same receptionist grabbed my hand and told me to follow her.  She put me in a family consultation room with Drew.  The only time I’d ever been in one was right before her diagnosis, when a neurologist was asking questions to help find an explanation for her seizures.  I thought they put us there to get us away from the eyes of everyone else.  I thought a doctor would come in and ask questions about Ava’s syndrome, so they could figure out how to treat her best. One by one more people came in.  Khiron and Sara-Claire.  My parents. I had to answer insurance questions.  I was frustrated that I couldn’t know what was going on with my daughter but I thought if the staff is so calm then everything is going to be ok. 


The ER doctor came in next.  I couldn’t look at him.  He hesitated and I knew then.  He said, “I’m so sorry but she was already dead when she got here.”


I don’t remember a lot during the time after that.  I do remember when the coroner came in and told me she felt like Ava had a seizure and aspirated.  I could NOT believe how quickly that killed her.  Do you know how many times she’s aspirated? It happened to her like any other kid falls down and scrapes his knees.  We’ve always had time to get it out of her lungs by suction, or even her just cough it up on her own.


It was a while before we were able to go back and see her.  I couldn’t get over how beautiful she looked.  She was so distressed when I’d looked at her last, and yet there she was, mouth open like she always did when she snored, frog legs scrunched up.  She looked so perfect and so normal.  She even looked less blue.  I kissed her and I held her hands.  She felt different but she was still soft.  She was so incredibly beautiful. Dylan cried for an hour and must have said “This can’t be real” a hundred times.  It wasn’t real.  Not to any of us.  Everyone in that room was so hurt.  Everyone looked so sad and so shocked.  Everyone felt an angel leave the earth.


Dylan surprised me that night.  It was Connor who was her other half, but Dylan aged so much in just a few minutes.  He wouldn’t leave her body.  He kissed her forehead and brushed her hair.  He had questions about what was done to try and save her, what happened, what we were supposed to do now.  He stayed with her until she was taken away from the hospital, and then he stayed on a bench in the parking lot right next to me.  Drew told him it was time to get up and go spend the night with his grandparents.  He told him ok, but didn’t move.  I’m not even sure how they got him out away from there finally.  I don’t remember.  Later, I found out that when Connor had been told Ava went to Armor (heaven) but this time she wouldn’t be coming back, he said very matter-of-factly, “I know! She forgot to take her body this time.”  Thank you, Jesus, for giving them Armor while she was still alive.  What better way for a child to cope with the death of a sister.  I am so happy I still have those two little boys and I thank God I get to see them live out another day.


That night I experienced grief in full force.  The way it feels to lose a child is probably the closest thing to physical death we can experience.  I was paralyzed.  I thought I would never be able to walk again.  Eat again.  Sleep again.  Talk again.  Breathe again.  I thought for sure if I closed my eyes for too long, my heart would stop, too.  My whole body ached so much that I felt if I moved it would totally shatter.  I just knew I would never leave my house.  I would never drive.  I would never do laundry.  Pack lunches.  Make a to-do list.  I would never want to do anything ever again.  I started to want to close my eyes and it all be over with, but grief wouldn’t even let me do that.  Or maybe that was God.


I didn’t sleep that for a few nights, and I didn’t eat for a couple of days, but eventually I did.  Not because I wanted to, but because I had to.  It’s amazing how a broken heart will tell us we don’t want and need things that our physical bodies demand us to have.  Life has to go on if God commands it.


I’m not going to lie, I still feel completely broken even though now I know she is completely healed. Drew and I are grieving and taking care of each other all at the same time.  That’s a hard thing to do.  I know it probably won’t be this way, but I feel like I will need counseling for the next twenty years.  I will live every day of the rest of my life waiting to leave this earth and be with her again.  I will live but for every second some of my heart will be missing.  I will wonder all the days of my life what it will feel like when our souls hug.  Will it feel as warm as it did the first moments after she was born?  Will it be as warm as it was a few days ago when she nuzzled her little face into my neck?  Will she finally be able to tell me what she’s thinking and what she feels?  Will we be able to walk together hand in hand to the feet of our Father and thank him for creating a mommy/daughter team between us? And for making it last as long as it did?


I struggled for a few days with why I didn’t see it coming. I’ve had a pretty good instinct about her health for all of her life, but that one day I just didn’t know.  I hated myself for not just taking to the ER anyway.  I kept it bottled up for two days and then the day we buried her, screamed at my husband how angry I was that I wasn’t a good enough mother to just KNOW.  I’m so ashamed to say, I took it as a slap in the face from God. She was my biggest responsibility.  Was He telling me I couldn’t handle her anymore? Had I not worked hard enough?  The last six years of my life had been filled with as much heartache and frustration as it was happiness, but did I not thank Him enough for giving her to me?  I was horrified to think of life without her.  We didn’t get to finish our plans, and it wasn’t fair.  She never got the new pink wheelchair we ordered for her 6th birthday.  Her hair was inches away from finally being able to donate to Locks of Love.  Her front tooth was breaking through the gum.  She was hours away from having the wound vac removed for good. I was so wrapped up in those inappropriate feelings that I didn’t even see that my husband was struggling with the same thing.  He did the CPR on her because I was too afraid and too shocked to.  I saw him as a hero, and he felt like a failure.  We were so incredibly broken, sad, and angry that night. 


I’ve had time to really pray about it, and God please forgive me for when my prayers turned into angry screams.  I can’t promise that I feel this way every second of the day, but for the most part, I’m able to realize that this wasn’t about us at all.  Ava was hurting.  She was so very sick, even when she didn’t act like it.  Her body couldn’t do it anymore and her soul didn’t deserve to live on this earth in that kind of pain. God didn’t take her…He saved her.  He wasn’t punishing me…He was giving me peace of mind knowing she lives in the most perfect existence ever now.  Even if I never find the words to explain it, even if I don’t always remember, I get it now.  We were all sent here with a job to do, and she worked over time. My sweet little baby gets to rest now.  She gets to play.  She gets to live!  I can make a choice to be angry about it, or I can make a choice to praise God for giving her a break and for making me strong enough to cope with her absence.  I did not like who I was before Ava.  I was shallow and with out direction.  She changed me so I could later fulfill my purpose. Wow.


And speaking of Ava’s purpose, in the last few days I’ve been totally overwhelmed at what people are saying about her.  I knew she made and impact while she was alive, but I didn’t really KNOW until after she passed. There were hundreds and hundreds of people at her wake.  Her little guestbook capped out at 325 people, but I know of so many more who came and didn’t have room to sign.  Most everyone told me a story of how she had changed their life.  Ava showed mothers how to love more unconditionally.  She showed children how to be more understanding.  She showed me my purpose and taught me what endurance means.  What an awesome responsibility for a child to be given.  My Facebook and blog blew up with sweet words.  Drew, Khiron, Sara-Claire and myself probably received a hundred calls and texts. It was love being sent world wide.  I’m the proudest mommy, ever.


Everyone keeps asking me what I need, but I just need Ava.  My earthly body, my earthly mindset will probably always feel as it I can’t function 100 percent without Ava around but hey…fake it til you make it (to heaven, that is.)  If Ava were here, I wouldn’t have this hurt, but if Ava were here, she would hurt.  If Ava were here, we would wake up in the mornings together.  I would mix her medicine.  Prepare her meal.  Change her diaper.  Dress her.  Kiss her.  Love her.  But Ava would hurt.  If her death was a trade-off, my pain for hers, how can I not thank God for relieving her?


I will tell you first hand this is not something parents are equipped to experience without faith in or at least some understanding of God.  He is now my direct connection with her.  She is with Him every day, and He is with me.  My faith in God is my only promise that I will be with my daughter again one day.  Please think about that.  It applies to all of us.


It was such a beautiful day for her funeral.  Have you noticed how bright it’s been around here every day since her death?  My Little Sunshine is in the sky.


Dylan and Connor took a little trip to the beach with family.  I know they needed the break.  Connor is very worried she will be lonely without him and he will be lonely without her.  I can’t tell you how many times he’s grown frustrated in the last few days because he didn’t get to go to heaven, too.  We put Ava’s favorite stuffed poodle in the casket with her.  It seemed appropriate.  Connor looked sad when he saw it.  He let me know right away that “her body that doesn’t move anymore” wouldn’t need it, but he did.  He took it out and carried it with him at the funeral.  On the way home, he snuggled up to it and said, “You miss Abuh too, don’t you pink poodle?”  Poor, sweet little boy.  But imagine what kind of man he will grow up to be, having learned to love like that so early. 


Drew and I drove to New Orleans yesterday.  I didn’t want to be in the house, but I didn’t want to risk seeing someone I knew and having to talk about it.  I just wasn’t ready.  We’d been promising Ava and the boys we would take them for a day trip on Mother’s Day, but Ava wasn’t feeling up to it.  I know she would have loved it.  We ate po-boys on the street and beignets at Café Du Monde.  We walked along the river and took our shoes off on a bench in Jackson Square.  We walked around the city and felt the warmth of the sun full force.  We spoke of and thought of Ava, but I didn’t cry the entire time, well, not until on the way home…but it’s just a one day at a time thing.


Thank you for loving my little Abuh so much.  Wasn’t she something?

26 comments:

  1. Paige, your memories will last you a lifetime. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I imagined this post would be. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very beautifully written, Paige. We continue to pray for your peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, dear Paige. You are such an awesome Mommy. May God give you healing peace and comfort. I continue to pray for you and your "men". God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. May we not ever fail you to lift you and your family up on prayer daily. Thank you for taking us on this journey with you the past few years. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a love! Ava was such a blessing. And you were the perfect mommy for her. God makes no mistakes. Ava will forever live on through so many memories and stories told through your blog and on facebook. May God continue to comfort y'all during the days ahead. Thank you for sharing your "Sunshine" with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this. You have been on my mind more than you know (so much that its creepy). I have thought about your thoughts, ability to breathe and wanted to hold you while you cried and screamed more than I really should. Its a pain that I can't begin to imagine but when I lose my breath thinking about it, I have a little glimpse and it terrifies me. Jenn is right.. this post was just as I imagined it. I am so thankful. Love you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know you and you don't know me but I Thank you for sharing this..It was very touching and heart felt..God has a plan and purpose. And I pray that he gives you the strength you need to carry on..My prayers will always be with you and your family. May God continue to bless and heal you in your time of sorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet Paige, I know this took so much strength and energy for you to write and share with everyone. Our Heavenly Father hand picked you as Ava's mother and without any doubts, He is so proud of you both. What an inspiration you two are to so many! Your words are so encouraging and yes, on that glorious, sweet day, you will get to know her thoughts, laugh with her, walk hand in hand with her, sit at the feet of Jesus together, and you will dance with your gorgeous angel! What hope and joy! Thank-you so much for sharing Ava's amazing sweetness with us! You and your family have been in my thoughts and every prayer throughout each day. Love to you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your love for Ava is such a blatant testament to our Father's love for us, and I would not understand Him as well if you had not shared your life and Ava's the way you have. I have prayed every day for comfort and peace for you and your boys, and that everyday God will remind you that there is a purpose, and a plan, and a future, and that you and Ava have a reserved place in all of it. Thank you, Paige, and thank you, sweet Ava, for being a light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paige, what a beautifully written and honest blog. I admire your commitment to Ava and your family. I never met little Ava, but I followed your posts on Facebook regularly. She touched my heart. I'll continue to pray for you and Drew and the boys. And I'll enjoy the sunshine a little more each day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still trying to find the words to express my condolences to you and your family, and there just aren't any than seem good enough. You are the epitome of what a loving and patient mother should be. I have learned so much patience just from reading about you and Ava. Thank you for sharing your lives with all of us. I will continue to pray for your peace and strength and will never forget what an inspiration Ava was to me and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing such detail and allowing us to truly understand just how bright the sun can shine through a very sweet and special little girl. I go to church with DD. Over the past several weeks, I have had the honor of getting to know her better through our Couch to 5k group that has been training. My heart broke last week as I heard of your loss and I want you to know that on Saturday, we ran our church Run for The Son 5k in honor of Ava!! There were 44 there, all ages, many who have also been touched by this precious child of God. I pray HE continues to shine on you and cover you with peace that we will never fully understand. I do believe I will always think of Ava now when I hear the song You are my Sunshine. Shine on Ava, Shine on!! Christy Turner

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. You are amazing and so was Ava. I will never forget the day she was born. I was so excited. I was so thankful that I got to be in the room right after she was born and see her sweet face. And everytime I think about that moment I giggle, because with a room full of people and after just having a baby you said, "I need a cheeseburger." I am so thankful that I got to know and hold an angel on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paige, Drew, Dylan and Conner- you are all so incredibly blessed to have gad the opportunity to behold an angel! Just know so many are thinking of you and praying for you guys! I am so glad that God is your sustanance. He loves you all so much and as his promise is always.. He will make a way! I am sure Ava is in his lap right now telling God of all her fun times with yall and letting him know to keep his eyes in yall. Blessings and love your way... Angie Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  16. I realize after finishing this reading, that my face is covered with tears, you are a beautiful writer and Ava was a beautiful little girl. I am so thankful to know you, and though I only met Ava one brief moment in Gatti Town while I was working, I could see how loved she was, and How amazing a mom you are. I don't know many things, but I do know that she is in a better place, dancing around, playing princess, and smiling down on your family. I love you girl, Kiss those boys for me! and you inspire me on a daily basis to be a better mother to my own kids, and a better wife to my husband. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Paige, you ARE amazing! As I sit here reading this, tears streaming down my face, I cannot begin to know the hurt you feel. You are so right, little Ava touched so many lives. Thank you for sharing her life with all of us. Thank you for being a shining example of unconditional love to all of us. I will continue to pray everyday for your family. What a true blessing you have all been...
    Amanda Gatlin Holifield

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paige - I can only hope and pray that I am as strong as you have been when that days comes for me. Your blog post was so touching and it really meant a lot to me to have answers. So many times we don't have answers and then it makes the anticipation of that day a little scarier. If that makes sense. My thoughts and prayers are with. I chuckled when I read about her smile with the froggy legs. Dakotah keeps her legs like that almost all the time. I think she hates being in her chair bc she can't have her legs like that. :) Love to you, your husband, and your beautiful sons. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paige - Thank you for sharing so open and honestly about Ava, her life and her death. I always loved reading about her and her adventures with her brothers. It reminds me of how my son is with Olivia. My heart just aches for your whole family. She was a beautiful little girl who touched many. My thoughts and prayers are with you --- Polly VanderWoude

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paige, Ava did touch our lives, you touched our lives, and for that we are forever greatful. Like you, we worry every day for our daughters, now with Ava's passing, more than ever. I have lost 3 of my immediate family members, but I dread losing my daughter even more. I know I will feel as you did :( Hugs and love to you

    Maryalicia Verdecchia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know you, but thank you for sharing your story. My heart breaks for you, no one should ever have to bear losing a child. My Grandmother told me once, after a friend of mine was killed in a car accident, that God loans parents children and that as parents we have to do our best to care for them and you did. Your daughter was so blessed to have a mother who cared for her and loved her despite her health issues. There are many who would have run in fear but you faced it with her as a family. What a testimony you have! I am sure your beautiful daughter's story has touched people in ways you will never ever realize. You and your family will be in my prayers. I am sad for you and your loss but thankful that she is healthy now and you are right, God thought enough of you to bless you with a special child. I firmly believe that he doesn't intrust children with special needs to just anyone. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing. I cried so much as I read it. I know you cried while you wrote it. It is truly the hardest thing to lose a child. I lost a baby myself. Though no one can take the hurt away, the love and support of friends and family was like salve on a wound for me. I hope you feel that, too. I'm thankful that you know the love of God. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I dont know you, and unfortunately never got the oppertunity to meet your sweet precious Ava. But I have saw on fb people asking for prayer for your family and have been praying for you all. I could not imagine the pain and loss you are feeling. And the fact that you are a strong enoug woman to endure such an aweful heartbreak and to share it with all of us. I cried almost immediately reading this. You are an awesome writer, an awesome christian example and a wnderful mother. Thank you . I needed to read this today! It makes me think I need to hug my kids more ,give more kisses and give less time to things that dont matter. Thank you and God bless you! Praying for your comfort,peace and healing. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sit here at work crying... your words are so familiar... our girls left us in different circumstances, but in your words, I hear myself. I brought Riley to the hospital for our "usual"- breathing treatments, antibiotics, and some oxygen and 5 weeks later, I left without her. We were only supposed to be there a few days, I would tell myself over and over. I kept thinking, how did I not see more going on... I remember after she was gone... she looked so beautiful. Your words are straight from my heart... at her funeral, I kept hearing people tell each other how beautiful Riley looked- how angelic... our girls are angels on earth- they always have been, straight from birth. The strongest, bravest, most pure and loving souls. I send you my love as your Aicardi Sister (and Mom) - we are bonded by these amazing children- whether we have met before or will meet in the future. The bond and love that we had with our child, also bonds us to the other parents who have been blessed with that love as well. I heard so many people say that time will heal... they had never lost part of their heart, soul, and their reason to live. I will tell you that I share the peace that you have that our girls will suffer no more and are healed completely- Life will never be the same for me... or for you and your family because our girls have left this earthly world and live in heaven now, but more so, our lives will NEVER be the same because they lived on earth with us and loved us... for too short of a time, but the impact and love that they brought is bigger than any of us could ever dream. I get through the day by sharing Riley's story and by doing things that honor her and somehow, the days aren't as grief stricken... I can't wait for the day that I am reunited with Riley just as you look forward to seeing Ava again some day... Thank you so much for sharing...I send you all so much love and keep you in my prayers always. With all my love, Nikki Lignell Riley's proud mom forever (Riley, Aicardi Angel, 12/20/2004-3/25/2011)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing. Your post was perfectly written and I'm grateful for you allowing so many people including myself to be included in your world. Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  26. You and your sweet angel have been & will continue an inspiration to many! Thank you for sharing! I have never meet you or sweet Ava, but I had the privilege of becoming friends with your mother at JCJC. Praying for your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete