December 7, 2011

Thanksgiving Blessings

Ava is so fortunate to have a big brother like Connor in her life! The day before Thanksgiving, Ava had a check up with Pulmo and Connor was able to come with her. I've always loved how much he enjoys going to Jackson with her, and how he views the hospital as a special place for Ava that he is lucky to get to be a part of, rather than a scary place. One of his most favorite things to do at UMMC is to walk to the top of the parking garage and watch the emergency choppers fly in and out. He's always amazed in the way they lift and fly away, and how the whole world seems to shake when they're near. I'm willing to bet he will be working in the sky one day...love our little pilot in the making. :)

Connor was totally impressed!

This trip to UMMC was especially heart warming for me, because Connor knew it was the beginning of the holidays and he had a million questions about how the children who couldn't leave would celebrate.  "How will they get their turkey?"  "Those kids look just like me and Ava. I wish they didn't have to be sick.  How long will they be sick."  And the one that did me in..."What about all those kids who have to stay in the hospital all those days after we get to go home, how is that fair? That doesn't seem fair."  He's right, it isn't fair.  He talked about it the whole 2 hours we were in the hospital.  He talked about it during our lunch.  He talked and he wondered and he questioned and he fretted.  On our way out, he was finally quiet.  We passed the neonatal hall and he watched another family with a little girl his age leaving, without their new baby.  I could tell he was sad.  Immediately, he let go of my hand, ran in front of Ava's wheelchair to stop me, and said "I have an idea. We're going to draw pictures for them!"  

Waiting for the doctor.

"We'll draw pictures for them?"


"Yes!" the sadness was leaving him. "If we draw pictures of the outside for them and put them on their walls, they'll think they're outside with every one else. They won't be sad anymore."


What a sweet, sweet little boy.  I promised I would help him with his project, and promised we have at least  a few "outside" pictures delivered the next time we went to Jackson.  What a blessing to have a little one in the family who is so concerned for others.  I know I say it a lot, but praise God for bringing him and Ava together.  I already know how their eyes have been opened because of it!

Connor and Ava holding hands so she wouldn't be afraid.

Ava's check up went quite well.  She was able to reduce some of her medications and get totally off two of them.  We know every "change" is temporary, but it's wonderful to get these little breaks in medications from time to time.  It was a wonderful Thanksgiving blessing. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment